Saturday 12 November 2011

Jagielka saves Parker's skin!

He got the Man of the Match and, to be fair to Parker, this game showcased his talents as an anchor midfielder superbly, but he so so nearly lost us the game when, in typical Scotty fashion, he tried to turn a circle in his own half and lost possession. Spain sprung and only a superb last ditch intervention from Jagielka prevented a killer pass from opening us up like a tin of sardines.

That apart, Parker covered expertly and, as usual, was 100% commitment. But man of the match? Not by a country mile for me. Lescott and Jagielka were the true stars, holding the defensive line brilliantly and timing interventions on the edge of the box expertly. Parker gave away a free kick in a dangerous position. So did Barry. But did Jagielka or Kryton Lescott? I don't think so.

It would be hard to split them in my opinion, but Lescott shaded it for me. There were three weak headers, but those apart, he was huge. Time and again the ball found Kryton as Spain played the ball into dangerous areas, because he read the game, dare I say it, like Bobby Moore. Lescott's and Jagielka's concentration were nothing short of fantastic.

1-0 against the World Champions with the winner from Academy Product and England Captain Frank Lampard. West Ham fans can feel proud!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mate told me Spurs haven't lost a game since Parker signed - can this be true?

T.I.S said...

Saved a sure goal with a sliding tackle though, courtesy of a Lescott error. Nevertheless a split MOTM for me.

Hammersfan said...

No, your mate is wrong 1959.

It was a very good intervention. Not sure it was from Lescott's error however.

Anonymous said...

He was the best player against the best team in the world... Doesn't that make him the best player in the world?

Anonymous said...

Erm, perhaps you can tell me which game it was they lost since he signed.

Hammersfan said...

Didn't they lose a Europa League game? Rubin Kazan 1 Tottenham 0? Your mate don't know much does he?

Hammersfan said...

2020 too stupid a comment to bother with. Parker, Messi or Ronaldo? Hmmmm, tricky one that!

Anonymous said...

yes your right 19.59...they haven't lost a PREMIER LEAGUE game since parker signed

Hammersfan said...

That's not what he said. I quote, "My mate told me Spurs haven't lost a game since Parker signed - can this be true?"

Hammersfan said...

By the way 2147, you meant "you're"! Still getting it wrong!

Deane said...

Paulo DiCanio's Swindon FOUR Huddersfield unbeaten for 42 matches only the ONE
get Dr Evil out Mussolini in

Travelling Hammer said...

Sorry HF, love your blog, but did you wait the whole match waiting so you could write something a bit negative about Scottie. The second the "saved by Jagielka" moment happened I thought you'd be writing about it, very predictable I'm afraid. No mention of Scottie's own sliding clearance in the six yard area when he appeared to get up lame having saved one of Lescott or Jagielka. Sure you'll correct me on that one. Look forward to your analysis of the game on Tuesday as I'll be in Washington with little chance on their TV networks of making my own judgements!!

Anonymous said...

20:20 your right mate it does! HF gets mugged off again!

Tottenham Jim said...

Scott Parker again the hero for country to add to his wonderful club performances.

Anonymous said...

I think you're blog posters are having a laugh with you HF.

Hammersfan said...

LOL Travelling Hammer, it wasn't QUITE like that, but it was typical Parker wasn't it? Trying to turn out of trouble 30 yards from his own goal with no cover should he lose the ball - and he lost the ball! How many times have we seen that as West Ham fan?

Tell me, had Spain scored as a result, would Parker have been named as MOTM? Of course not! Yes it was a lovely interception later but Jagielka made an even more important one following that Parker error if we are honest.

Now, what do you reckon Parker's pass completion rate was in the game? Poor I suspect, like all the other England players. That is a weakness I repeatedly identified. How many chances did he create? None. Another weakness I repeatedly identified. How mant shots on target? None. Another weakness I repeatedly identified.

Now he was playing as a holding midfielder, I accept, but that's his role, he is not the midfield general that he wanted / needed to be in a West Ham shirt. So this game showcased his strengths - lots of passion, lots of energy, not a lot of SKILL; and typically, one error that could have lost us the game!

Anonymous said...

Why's there a picture of Lescott when the article's about Jagielka? Not hard to get them muddled up. One's a large black man with a huge scar on his face and the others a white bloke with a silly name!

Hammersfan said...

Because I identify Lescott as my Man of the Match. Simples for anybody with half a brain!