Tuesday 29 March 2011

The Final Sod Laid To Rest On West Ham United's Heritage

London 2012 Olympics: Olympic Stadium completed 'on time and under budget'
There are a few sods I wouldn't mind seeing laid to rest I must admit, but the completion of the green space in the middle of the Olympic bowl does not fill me with glee. Is it just me, or has that tiny patch of green simply emphasised how far away we fans will be from the pitch?

The stadium has been completed on time and on budget - remarkable given this is Britain and the Labour Party were in charge until very recently - but we have yet to see how the pitch will play when it is being used week in and week out for football, whilst also hosting javelin, shot put and hammer throwing events.

I'm not sure why Coe is overseeing the lifting up of a flap of the pitch in that picture. Is he saying, "And under here we are burying the heritage and soul of West Ham United Football Club" perhaps?

aa-mar31-olympic480.jpg

13 comments:

OSP said...

Who's the bloke holding the spade???
COYHowFarAwayAreTheyIrons

Anonymous said...

Honestly who is going to want to go watch football at that place? It's a glorified Withdean Stadium and nothing more

T.I.S said...

Please tell me the pitch will be bigger than that! My heart just sank!

Anonymous said...

Lets wait and see what it looks like the day we move in first before we make a judgement on the place. i think it will look a lot different by then.

Stani Army said...

T.I.S are you 'T_is' from Dale's blog? Then I'm afraid to say mate that I told you all about this (stadium seating) and you sided with G&S.

And the pitch will not be bigger than that patch of grass. Rather, it will be smaller, as that patch of grass is bigger than football pitch dimensions. The white lines will be drawn yards in from that. Gold help us. We've been swindled

Hammersfan said...

I'm sure it will 0215. They are building a chicken run, one stand will be much smaller than all the others and the outside will look like a birthday cake. Most importantly, the whole thing will be lifted up and planted down on Green Street! Let's wait and see! Do you have a piece of paper in your hand guaranteeing peace in our time? As the handsome man in the the prison showers discovered, wait and see is a great way of being well and truly buggered!

Anonymous said...

Kevin in Manchester writes..

the pitch will defineitely be longer and possibly wider.. look at Roma/Lazio pitch .. it touches the angles of the corners/curves of the running track.. plus there is still talk of temporary seating to cover the track on match days .. calm down, calm down without the economics and transport links that the stadium delivers we'd struggle.. not for nothing did the club's notinal value triple when stadium bid was confirmed.

golden corner said...

god save the Boleyn Ground!!!!!

olympics?

oh, no!

penyabogarde-goldencorner.blogspot.com

T.I.S said...

Yeah don't get me wrong Stani, I think this move is fantastic for West Ham and cannot understand an argument against it, but i've never actually seen pictures. I will still happily buy an affordable season ticket for this place.

John said...

One of the many matters that I am concerned about with the OS is the trajectory of the seating it looks very low compared with Wembley. In view of this the furthest seat from the pitch at the OS may well be nearer than the furthest seat from the pitch at Wembley in a trajected line, but I bet it is not in a horizontal line. Personally I would rather sit farther away, but be nearer with a birds eye view than otherwise

Hammersfan said...

I agree John.

OSP said...

What difference does it make to you and Stani anyway Fanno? Neither of you ever dig into your pockets to actually support the team do you?

Hammersfan said...

LOL I do, not sure about Stani. The real OSP surely would not write that for reasons we both know.