Saturday 8 August 2009

Should We Sell Upson?


Rumours have resurfaced that Unreal City fancy Upson after being knocked back in their attempts to sign Terry and Lescott. If the bid was in the region of £15m, should Zola box clever and trade a player in a position where we have plenty of cover, and use the money to but a quality striker and a right back?

In his position, I think I would be saying to Mark Hughes, yes you can have him for £15m but on the basis that we get a striker on loan for the season. I don't care which one personally, Benjami would do, we just need a squad player to cover in the event of injuries.

Having banked the £15m, I would try to temp 'Arry to part with either Keane or Pavolova for £10m. If that doesn't oil the transfer wheels, I would say to Nani, earn your salary, find me a 15 goal striker in Europe and find him NOW. Similarly, the instruction to identify and sign a right back for £5m would be issued.

Tomkins, Gabbidon and Collins would then have to fill the centre back berths. It is a high risk strategy because Upson was a rock last season but you can't win games if you can't score goals. And with our present squad, we aint going to score many!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hammersfan, I’m beginning to warm to you. Your more recent posts have been entertaining and provocative. If you would only confine yourself to matters concerning West Ham then you’re really not the villain you’re painted. Stay away from baiting the fans of other clubs for cheap hits on your blog and I, for one, will happily debate issues with you.
Probably a hopeless request on my part, but any chance you might consider a change of tactics in future?

Tom said...

Hammersfan I like you're thoughts but I have to wholeheartedly disagree with you on this one. I watched Matty Upson today and he marshalled Tomkins superbly and is in a different league to Ginge and Gabbidon. Faubert looks to have settled in nicely and put in arguably he best show in an Irons shirt. I have faith in both GFZ and Clarky, and I know for a fact that Gudjohnson has been at the Boelyn this week so fingers crossed with that one. I thought Cole was superb today however a Gudjonson or a fit Deano with Dyer and Jiminez running off them and we have a season of enjoyment ahead of us, Cole is good but he is one footed and his distribution isn't as near the standard of Ashton or Gudjohnson or even Luca Toni's. The Italians were in superb voice may I say and it was pleasing to hear them praise our side and in particular the coup GFZ has pulled off in signing Jiminez.

The Beast said...

Upson is a key player and we should not be selling our best players without getting adequate cover for them. Gabbidon and Collins are sick notes and Tomkins is just not experienced enough or strong enough for a full season. If he was to go I would suggest we take Dunne as cover, or better still Sylvan Distin from Portsmouth.

As we are apparently close to signing Luca Toni, signing Benjani would be unlikely, (and in my book, a waste of money and space) but I wouldn't mind Bellamy (the poison dwarf) coming back.

but whether we like it or not, we are a selling club, always have been and always will be until somebody with with vision and ambition takes over the club.

Appointing Zola as manager was brave and seems to be paying off but if we could give him £15 - 20 million to spend we could be so much better.

The Beast said...

Upson is a key player and we should not be selling our best players without getting adequate cover for them. Gabbidon and Collins are sick notes and Tomkins is just not experienced enough or strong enough for a full season. If he was to go I would suggest we take Dunne as cover, or better still Sylvan Distin from Portsmouth.

As we are apparently close to signing Luca Toni, signing Benjani would be unlikely, (and in my book, a waste of money and space) but I wouldn't mind Bellamy (the poison dwarf) coming back.

but whether we like it or not, we are a selling club, always have been and always will be until somebody with with vision and ambition takes over the club.

Appointing Zola as manager was brave and seems to be paying off but if we could give him £15 - 20 million to spend we could be so much better.

Anonymous said...

er no. moron.

Anonymous said...

My brain is so addled with all the crap that has been going on at UP in the last two or three years (particually in the last year), that I just don't care anymore. I've had enough of all this bollocks!!!