Tuesday 25 August 2009

Lucas Neill Statement


Following the insistence of his agent that he is not motivated by money, Lucas Neill has issued a statement outlining his position. The Soccoroo Star stated:

"Look to say I am only interested in the money is rubbish. Sure West Ham offered me more money than Liverpool when I left Blackburn, but that wasn't the reason why I joined them. I considered the option of Champions League football and competing for a Premiership winners medal but, at the end of the day, preferred the chance to join a relegation struggle with a release clause in my contract should West Ham go down. There was also the issue of the facilities available at the two clubs. Yes Liverpool has a bigger stadium and a larger fan base and better players but the West Ham ground does look like a birthday cake doesn't it? And we are all suckers for birthday cake aren't we? Then, of course, there were the relative merits of the two managers. Rafa Benitez or Alan Curbishley? No contest mate, the one is a tactical genius with a record of winning trophies, the other has won nothing through-out his playing and management career. In the circumstances, the decision was a no brainer."

He continued: "To suggest I rejected the contract offer from West Ham because of the money being offered is completely wrong. There were much bigger factors than that. Why would I want to play for Zola and Clarke exactly? What have those guys ever done in the game? Curbishley was a giant in the game and is full of charisma, I found myself drawn to him like your average New Zealander is to a sheep; but Zola? The guy is completely dead pan, completely lacking in spark and humour. And Clarke? What does he know about defending exactly? Look, there was a danger of me losing my edge under those two, I had to get out for the sake of Australia's bid to win the World Cup in 2012."

He concluded: "Look, having said that, I have not ruled West Ham out as a possibility. I don't want more money as such to link up with West Ham again, what I want is my dignity. To join them for less than they were paying me before would be undignified wouldn't it? All I'm asking is that West Ham don't humiliate me. I mean it is embarrassing enough to find myself without a club two weeks into the new season. Look, people may be thinking nobody wants me!"

When it was pointed out to Neill that he had already forgone £225,000 in wages by not signing the contract on offer in June he responded, "How much? My bloody agent is dead when I get my hands on him!"

5 comments:

DUTCHAMMER said...

ROFL Good one Fanno

DUTCHAMMER said...

ROFL. Still on Curbs case i see. I like it lol

Hammersfan said...

Good to see you back mate, both here and at the org. Phoned Zola with any scouting tips yet? How was your summer?

Unknown said...

What the hell are you on about Neill. Zola is one of the best players ever to grace the premiership and your comments are a disgrace. What have you ever won in the game????????
Australia winning the world cup in 2012...get real you idiot

Hammersfan said...

Seamus, it was a joke.