Monday 18 May 2009

Do you remember Gabbidon and Ashton?


Ever had one of those conversations with an old fella who tells you about things you dimly remember from the past but you were never quite sure if they actually happened? Yes, in the 70s there genuinely were power cuts and we did travel to the other side of town to watch somebody else's TV. Yes they really did used to wrap your chips in newspaper and sometimes you could read words on your chips as the ink from the print soaked into the grease. Yes in the 70s there was no such thing as live football on TV, except for the FA Cup Final and the final stages of the World Cup and European Championships - oh and the England v Scotland fixture. That's why the Cup Final was so special, it was the ONLY live game in some years! And no, they didn't show the League Cup Final live, you had to wait until the next day to see the highlights on The Big Match. Hazy memories I admit, but it's all true, honest.

Well I was chatting to an old fella the other day and he assures me that Dean Ashton and Danny Gabbidon once started a game together for West Ham. Now I know that seems incredible but apparently it happened. In fact, he assures me that Gabbidon once started 31 Premiership games in a single season and a further 7 in the FA Cup, even making an appearance as a substitute into the bargain. In fact, Gabbidon was in the team that made it through to that epic Cup Final and finished the season as Hammer of the Year. Yes, I know, it's incredible isn't it! I'm still pinching myself to see if I dreamt it.

Nothing so dramatic for Ashton of course. In 2007-08, he did rock up for an amazing 20 Premiership starts and came on as a sub in another 11 games. Rumour has it that at some point towards the end of that season he was actually running and making a show of jumping for the ball. 11 goals in the league and another in the League Cup are in the record books as hard proof that this is not some fanciful fantasy!

Now, let's dream. Just imagine if we have these two fit and ready for the start of next season! Some say that Ashton and Cole can't play together but Beano hasn't had the chance to play alongside Carlton Cole Mark Two, a hugely improved player in my opinion. Add Gabbidon into the squad and (moving into the realms of incredible fantasy I accept) Dyer, and suddenly I find myself smiling at our prospects of building on this season. Who knows, Parker might be fit too. Add in Behrami and a fully tuned Collison and the dark thoughts induced by the last two games begin to fade. And if Savio really is worth what we paid for him...

Who knows, one day I might find myself chatting to an old fella who insists that in one season we actually had Tristan and Di Michele starting up front together in the Premiership. I will, no doubt, find that all but impossible to believe. Both were crap, I will say. I can remember them playing but surely not in the same side, surely we were never THAT bad?

In the circumstances, a top half finish is quite an achievement. Just imagine what we might achieve with a strike force that actually knows where the goal is!

19 comments:

Scott said...

do you EVER write anything Positive or worth reading?

Telboy said...

Good point. Having no one who can score up front nigh on all season did'nt help but, all things considered a good season, getting Zola AND Clarke in has been a godsend & i feel more than optimistic for the coming season... can't wait!
Danny Gabbidon's injury must be something serious to have kept him out so long, I mean, Douglas Bader made a quicker recovery.

Anonymous said...

Please stop it now. Everyone has had enough.

Anonymous said...

You guys seriously need to lighten up, it's just a bit of satire.

I found this blog quite amusing (and yes, I AM a west ham fan/season ticket holder)

Hammersfan said...

The reaction to the post is staggering. I can only assume some people can't read! The post is optimistic about next season but you would never guess that from some people's absurd reactions!

Jason said...

Do you never wonder why so many people despise you?

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to next season... now the surgeons (hopefully) have fixed Ashton's ankle I look forward to seeing play next season... look how good Upson has been with a run of games after being previously injury prone.

Was Danny Gabbidon's injury better known as death?!

Hammersfan said...

Forest Gate Jase or another Jase I wonder? Orgsters out in force again tonight I see. Obscenities get you deleted.

Anonymous said...

Calling Di Michele crap is a little harsh. For a veteran player coming from Serie A to the PL is a tough move to pull off (see; A. Shevchenko). Once upon a couple of seasons ago it was just chairmen who were quick on the trigger when it came to writing off staff, but these days fans seem even more impatient. In the good old days it was said that a player should be given at least a season to settle in before any judgements were made.
For my money Di Michele was starting to come good when Carlton Cole picked up his injury. Nice touches, incisive passing, good link up play, and a willingness to work hard. Out goes Cole in comes Tristan and Di Michele's back to square one.
He deserves a bit more than 'crap'.

Hammersfan said...

4 goals mate, and two of those came in the Newcastle game back in - was it September or October? That "attempt" against Liverpool will go down in West Ham folk lore.

marleeeen depreciation society said...

hammersfan, ever get the feeling that real fans would like to see you injured? nothing serious, just all your fingers broken so that you couldn't type would do most of us i think. maybe you should post what pub you drink in to let people have their say in person so the rest of us don't have to suffer you. hammersfan my arse.

apache said...

Last night I read this before any comments had been posted and contemplated writing;

"Nice little post here, now let the bile flow"

I didn't cos what time I did have I spent on a disagreement on the Org.

I just don't understand the haters. If you dislike fanno and his posts so much, why come one and just abuse.

I enjoy a good discussion about football as much as anyone, and this is one of several sites I visit. I wish people would just grow up, immature prats.

Hammertel said...

Great post. I enjoyed reading that. It's such a shame that others can't read it properly and can't gauge the tone of it. They seem to be able to write extremely poor comments back though… I, for one, will be reading your posts again. :o)

davefking said...

I like this blog and would like to see much more - all power to you Fanno, keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I'm actually an Everton fan who stumbled across this page looking for information on Dean Ashton. I used to live in Crewe and had a season ticket for the Alex when Ashton was coming through. I always thought he had the pedigree to go onto great things. His injury record as a Hammer is terrible and thats been a shame, curtailing any hopes of furthering his international ambitions. I still think a fit Ashton would be a great asset to West Ham. He ran the Liverpool defenders ragged in your FA cup final 2006, I thought then he was going to go on and be a regular international. It just didn't work out for him and West Ham haven't had good value for money.

His injury record throughout his career has been poor and after this season I'm beginning to think he's never going to be fully fit. Perhaps he'll end up like Paul Mcgrath and Duncan Ferguson, a player who never trains, but can still rise to the occasion when called upon. I'm not sure the prem has room for that sort of player these days. I watch with interest to see what comes of Deano.

Anonymous said...

please come home defoe, we need you!

Hammersfan said...

Cheers to those who have posted the supportive comments. I fear that "tone" is beyond the understanding of some people in a modern society where "yelling at somebody" is too often the understanding of the meaning of the word debate. The abuse is pathetic, in the true sense of the term. Those who engage in it are worthy of sympathy.

LOL to the davefking poster. That's not what he wrote on the org recently!

Anonymous said...

blimey..first one of your posts i actually agree with !!

although i prefer Upson, Collins & Tomkins to Gabby

Anonymous said...

stuff defoe hez a spud deano is a hell of a player on his day lets just hope 3rd time lucky his injuries will stop!